Monday, January 11, 2010

German Events

I am going to try to find articles that compare German culture and American culture.

3 comments:

  1. What aspects of culture do you think you will look for? Here are a couple sites to get you started:

    http://www.dw-world.de/
    and
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know much about Germany, so I will be looking for as many different topics as I can find. I am sure that German society is different from the society in the United States, but I may find that we have more in common than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my article on an interview between Spiegel and the German Justice Minister, Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger. They began to talk about how the Justice Minister believes that Google is slowly becoming a Monopoly much like Microsoft was seen as one. She feels that Google is also on the boarder of invading peoples privacy by using the Google earth technology.

    I feel that she has some legitimate concerns with the way Google operates this program. You can find just about any place on the planet with this technology and get a birds eye view at any time. She also brings up a good point about how difficult it would be to place laws on something as widespread as the internet, because the jurisdiction is international.

    The second half of the interview is the Justice Minister talking about the use of full body scanners in airports. It is hard to tell if she is opposed to the idea or not. It sounds like she wants to make the airports safer but is trying to keep peace with people that feel that these devices are an invasion of privacy. Personally I would not mind them at all. I would much rather know that I was that much safer on an airplane than feel embarrassed that someone might be looking under my shirt. She also talks about trying to improve security measures so that these scanners are not necessary to begin with. This is also a good idea.

    I found this article at http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,671426,00.html

    ReplyDelete