Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Google and Full body scanners

I did my article on an interview between Spiegel and the German Justice Minister, Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger. They began to talk about how the Justice Minister believes that Google is slowly becoming a Monopoly much like Microsoft was seen as one. She feels that Google is also on the boarder of invading peoples privacy by using the Google earth technology.

I feel that she has some legitimate concerns with the way Google operates this program. You can find just about any place on the planet with this technology and get a birds eye view at any time. She also brings up a good point about how difficult it would be to place laws on something as widespread as the internet, because the jurisdiction is international.

The second half of the interview is the Justice Minister talking about the use of full body scanners in airports. It is hard to tell if she is opposed to the idea or not. It sounds like she wants to make the airports safer but is trying to keep peace with people that feel that these devices are an invasion of privacy. Personally I would not mind them at all. I would much rather know that I was that much safer on an airplane than feel embarrassed that someone might be looking under my shirt. She also talks about trying to improve security measures so that these scanners are not necessary to begin with. This is also a good idea.

I found this article at http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,671426,00.html

2 comments:

  1. I used this same article. I, on the other hand disagreed with her objection to google earth and street view. I dont believe it to be invasion of privacy because it is almost impossible to see inside someones house when you are looking at the map from above. As far as the use of full body scanners, I got the feeling she was voicing her opposition to those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Google earth is definitely not an invasion of privacy, as all the program shows you is a low resolution bird's eye image, maybe the German prime minister has a glass roof. As for full body scanners I think they are a good idea. They greatly improve security, and I know that in the Cincinnati airport you can have a security guard search you by hand if you choose. They do expose you to radiation though, and if you fly often it could be damaging over time.

    ReplyDelete