Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Iraq elections

The article i have chosen is an interview with an Iraq expert, Brian Katulis. The interview revolves around the recent election that has taken place in Iraq. The initial impression of the election turnout seems to be good. The numbers show that 60 percent of the eligible voters cast their ballot. These numbers are slightly lower than the election of 2005. With the recent up-rise in violence, these numbers are higher than expected.

Katulis goes on further saying that election day was a great success for Iraq. The real test however, will come in next few months. The new leaders of the country will have to show that they are have the ability to stabilize the region and protect its citizens on its own. The minority groups in the country are hoping that they can because they have been under constant persecution since before the war started.

The election results could spark more violence throughout the country. There have been millions of weapons entering the country for the past six years and these weapons may be in the hands of rival political groups. Depending on who wins, there could be some type of retaliation involved. The challenger, ( former Prime Minister Ayad Allawi), has already indicated that he would accuse the other side of election fraud.

Katulis says that the country is still completely divided along several lines. The differences stem from ethnic and religious differences. These differences have led to the political transition to become very stagnant. It seem that the internal power struggle has left the country in the current position.

He also believes that some Americans are not going to be able to let go of Iraq's future. He feels that since America has put so much into this war, that the American public will not want to leave the country when it is time. He also says that President Obama will enact his troop withdraw on schedule.

I chose this article because i find it very interesting to see how other countries view the Iraq war. I can't think of anyone i know that has not been effected by this war in some way. I never have really thought about what other countries think about this war. I think that we are nearing the end of a very difficult journey and we need to concentrate on how we can take care of our soldiers coming home and not care what others think. Even though I don't think that their opinions matter, it is still interesting to hear it.

I found this article at:http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,682599,00.html

2 comments:

  1. It will be interesting to see how the election process holds up. I would be scared if I was a new voter in that country. American involvement has been viewed in both negative and positive ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This election is exciting, but kind of for all the wrong reasons. I'm not a big fan of politics, but the fact that one person winning a democratic election in Iraq could cause a miniature civil war is frightening, to say the least. It seems we're gonna be in Iraq for at least a good bit longer.

    ReplyDelete